Friday, July 6, 2007

children's literature

I am already in love with Elsa Beskow, though we've just become acquainted. She was a Swedish author who wrote and illustrated children's books in the first half of the 20th century. Since I met my Swedish boyfriend Erik and am now soon moving to Sweden myself, I have become mildly obsessed with anything Swedish. I know the grass seems (fill in the blank: greener, more special, beautiful, interesting, European) on the other side, but it really seems that a lot of what comes out of Sweden is just plain wonderful. A friend of mine named Janke, a fellow lover-of-all-things-Swedish, first introduced me to Beskow, and she showed me the old copies of the books (translated into Dutch as she is from Holland) that she read to her children. The books drew me in. Elsa Beskow's illustrations are simple and breathtaking. Her stories are rooted in nature and inspire children to romp around in the woods and use their imaginations.
I happened to find an old copy of Pelle's New Suit in the library the other day. It tells the tale of a little boy who shears his pet lamb, exchanges weeding in his grandmother's garden for her to spin the wool, chops the tailor's wood so he will make the suit, and in the end Pelle says to his lamb:
"Thank you very much for my new suit, little lamb."
"Ba-a-ah," said the lamb, and it almost sounded as if the lamb were laughing.

This story gives children important lessons about the process of making clothing, and it shows them the value of exchanging labor for labor instead of always paying money. Pelle didn't spend a dime on his new suit. Instead, he spent the whole day helping his grandmothers and neighbors, working hard and lessening their load in exchange for their skills (carding, spinning, weaving, sewing) on his suit.
Elsa Beskow has written many adorable children's books; check out Peter in Blueberry Land and Children of the Forest to see more of her work. Her books are definitely already on my (future) children's booklist. :)

3 comments:

Pollyemma said...

what a wonderful blog! you write so well. I can't wait read about your adventures in Sweden and see that country through your eyes.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful surprise to open up your blog and see that sweet picture.
Hannah, we are so glad you came into our lives and to hear about YOUR adventures in Blueberryland ...I mean Sweden.
Janke.

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence! :) Somebody got to my blog through the search 'Swedish boyfriend', so I was curious as to what other blogs had those words. I never would have expected to find one with 'my Swedish boyfriend Erik' too! Snap :) hehe, although Erik is a pretty popular Swedish name. I also share your obsession with everything Swedish (they're right on so many things), and hope to be moving there asap!

So "Hej!" to you Hannah, girlfriend of another Erik and lover of all things Swedish :) I will definitely be keeping up with your blog to see how things are going :)