Friday, April 18, 2008

my new thing...

...is to snap small branches off of anonymous trees from the forest in early spring. I bring them inside, put them in water, and wait for the suprise of their green leaves to appear. If I was better at my tree identification, I would also know what their names were. I want to get better at that.

But I've decided tree branches are the cut flowers of early spring. The natural twists and curves of the branches and the fresh green leaves make just as strong of a statement as the brightest colors of flowers.

7 comments:

ashleigh said...

I love the way branches are shaped!

Anonymous said...

as always LOVE THE BLOG!

Anonymous said...

You're getting more and more Swedish every day :) I guess you already know cutting birch twigs off trees and placing them in a vase, getting them to re-leaf, then decorating them with decorative eggs is a Swedish Easter Tradition :) I'll be moving to Umeå in September, to live my *my* Erik :) hehe.

Anonymous said...

I remember
European Chestnuttrees
are so especially wonderful for that.It starts with the mysterious sticky brown buds.
Then the little" hands" made up of 5 smaller leaves unfold and then later
the adorable little flowercandles.
Get Erik to find you some.

Anonymous said...

i am waiting in great anticipation of the May blog. great writing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah! What a neat "new thing"...branches of trees neither toil nor spin either, do they?

Can you believe I have a bit of a garden up? And can you believe I actually shared some seedlings with your mom instead of only getting some from her?

Will check back for a May update.

Anonymous said...

Hello Hannah,

Great block :) Are you still in Sweden as an Au Pair? I´m in Uppsala at the moment. It would be nice to change experiences. My e mail is sama.tuli@gmail.com. Hope to hear you.