Wednesday, August 1, 2007

coffee in the rain




To all who read my humble blog, I hope you're enjoying the news from Sweden. I could write forever about all I am seeing and thinking, but I'll try to keep this succinct. My days here so far have been nothing but lovely. The weather has been in the 60s and 70s, with an open, sunny sky and huge, soft clouds. I adore the Swedish countryside and don't think i'll ever grow weary of drinking it in.

Erik lives in an ideal location. In one direction you can walk to the small grocery store in 5 minutes. (which we do almost every day to buy the ingredients for dinner:) In another you can hop on your bike and be in the beautiful city of Uppsala, and in another you can walk straight into fields of wheat and dark forests with endless paths. A car is only needed in rare circumstances. Everyone, from the elderly to children to the punkiest 20-something, rides a bike, complete with a large basket for your groceries and other items, and a little bell to ring when you want to pass another cycler.

We have been spending the days having slow breakfasts on the porch, taking walks in the beautiful forests (they really have a magical feel about them....i'm sure i'll spend a whole blog on them later), riding bikes to town, and we have even been swimming! yes, for about 30 seconds today I endured the cold northern waters, and I thought longingly of the lakes at home which have such a perfectly mild temperature. Erik, Siri, his Mamma, and I took the car to a little "beach" today, spread our blankets on the grass, and had a lovely time lying in the not-too-hot sun, reading and drinking the dark coffee we brought along. (because we were eager to get to our desination this morning, the coffee and mugs were tugged along with us:) I couldn't quit smiling at the beach today, just watching all the Swedish children, blond and half-naked, engrossed in their child's play; climbing trees, finding oysters, freezing in the water. Sweden is really a family-country. There are always places provided for children to be; little tables at the cafe, a spot in stores for playing, and plentiful playgrounds.
Yesterday Erik and I picked all the red currants from his mother's bushes, and after eating a delicious pie made with a few of the berries, we froze the rest for the winter. We have now picked and eaten wild strawberries, rasperries, blueberries, and currants. The blueberries here grow nearly on the ground, not at all like at home on large bushes, and they are smaller and more tart. Other food news: The Swedes do love their coffee, and I've enjoyed the daily after-dinner cup, though I'm not yet able to drink it black. The yogurt here is very delectable, and somewhat of a cross between a plain yogurt and a sweet one. With a little jam in it in the mornings it is perfect.
My Swedish is coming along, and I'm being patient for the day when it subconsciously flows out of my mouth. Every day I understand a little more of the conversations around me and I am saying what I can in Swedish. Soon I will move in with my au pair family and I would like to speak mostly Swedish with the children, so that will improve it a lot. It is a humbling thing to not understand every word spoken around you, and I think it can be healthy to be able to relate to how isolated so many people in America must feel (illegal immigrant or not) when they don't speak English.
One more bit of news...the other day Erik and I biked to the organic food/home store and I purchased lettuce, spinach, and radish seeds and am hoping to get a small harvest before the winter sets in. I planted them in pots and it feels good to again watch things grow. I miss our garden at home and the huge harvests we were getting just as I left.
More news later....hej då for now!
p.s. the picture is from Stockholm where we spent the day on sunday

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Hannah,
So perfect to wake up with a cup of tea and then find A NEW BLOGPOST FROM SWEDEN!
You write exactly like I hoped Hannah, all those great little details about red currents and
dark woods.
We are thankful you are so happy
and everything seems to fall in place in your new life. Janke.

ashleigh said...

It sounds wonderful, Hannah! I cannot wait to hear more. Your descriptions of the forests and the sky and the fresh food make me wish I was in Sweden too!

Take Care,
Ashleigh

kelly anne said...

hello hannah! i'm so delighted to have stumbled on your blog (I found it through an old email from your mom). Your writing is exquisite, and you're making me ache for the excitement and freshness of seeing a new place through new eyes. I love your social commentaries, your thoughtful writing, your delicious food descriptions, and above all, your zest for the tiny details of life, which shines through in your writing. Thanks for sharing with us! Keep living with eyes wide open...and keep writing about it!
Looking forward to hearing from you...(kellyvanwyck@gmail.com)
Love,
Kelly (Ziegler) Van Wyck

Anonymous said...

Hannah,

Glad to see you are enjoying sweden (which on a side note I only recently figured out was one of the fingerlike countries above europe and not actually part of europe...)

Meghan

Anonymous said...

Hey Hannah!

Those Scandinavian forests are wonderful aren't they. Colleen and I spent much of our time in Denmark just wandering around the forests and countryside. You'd be happy to know my adviser in Denmark was Swedish (she commuted everyday from Malmo). It's good to hear about your experiences. Colleen and I can very much relate to them. Enjoy your time and don't ruin anymore wonderful coffee with them dang extras.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Oh, Hannah! I am packing! Find a family who wants a slightly middle-aged au pair and sign me up. It sounds as though you have found your bliss there...keep up the wonderful writing!

Rebecca S. said...

i love it when you post a blog! i just have to say "amen" to kelly's comment. lovely writing, hannah! and such wonderful things you've seen fit to comment about. what a little swede you are with your striped shirt! love you, becca