Thursday, August 9, 2007

a preview into my au pair life


I have met my family. My new family, that is, the Klums, who I will be living and working for this year in Sweden. I have become so used to living in Erik's house and enjoying a vacation-lifestyle with his family that I've almost forgotten one of my major purposes in coming here. The days of soaking in the sun and doing whatever we what whenever we want are over, yet I am full of excited anticipation over this new phase in my life here.
Erik and I rode our bikes over to my future home last Sunday afternoon to have cake, coffee, and conversation with Hanna, Mats, Jonatan (13), and Alexander (2.5). Fredrika (16) is away with a cousin for the week. It was a delightful 2 hours together, and Erik and I rode away on our bikes grinning from ear to ear and exclaiming about all the things we'd been thinking but had contained in the presence of the Klums. Let me explain. This family has to be one of the kindest and most wonderful in Sweden, and are only warm, loving, and welcoming to me. Here I am, coming to work for them, taking care of their most dearest possesions (their children) and yet they seem only concerned with making my time here a comfortable and enjoyable one. They gave us a tour of their new home, which is actually an old home from the 1930s which they are renovating enough to make it livable but still keeping its character. The floors, wooden ceilings, old iron door fixtures, and secret-looking hallways and windows are gorgeous. My room is in a little house attached to the big house, but with its own entrance and own small kitchen. Hanna asked, "here, why don't you pick out the paint color since it's your place?" Outside my door is a small white wooden table with two chairs "for your morning coffee," and "you need a bike? oh, we can fix up one of ours for you." I went to sleep smiling that night just thinking how God often gives us beyond what we need.
That was a pleasant, calm time together, spent in grown-up conversation, getting to know each other and talking about my future work for them. On Tuesday I got a real idea of what my work will include: me and the 2 boys spent the day at this huge indoor/outdoor pool in Uppsala with hundreds of crazy swedish children and potential hazards (drowning, slipping on the hard floor, etc). I realized then just how important it will be for me to learn Swedish quickly, because little Alexander has no idea I do not speak his language, and only gives me blank stares if I try a few English words on him. Just trying to get his bathing suit on him was difficult, because there I was in the changing room, searching my brain for the word "bathing suit" and the words needed to convince him that we were at this really cool pool and if he'd only put his suit on we could go swim! In just a few hours I learned countless new words as he was bubbling over with comments about all he was seeing. (he LOVES to take baths apparently, so this was the ultimate water experience)
I will move for now into the Klum's old home, just a few houses down from Erik's, while we await more renovations. This will make the transition from Erik's basement to a whole 5 minutes bikeride away a bit easier, I suppose. :)

2 comments:

Pollyemma said...

It must have been very challenging to watch a two year old who doesn't speak english at a big swimming pool. Alexander's presence will be a big help to your swedish studies!

You must put photos of your new place once it's ready. It sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hannah the pic of you is so pretty, you look so happy. I am so glad for you that your experience has gotten off to a great beginning. God is good. I talked to your mom a while yesterday and she told me about your lovely family and your living situation. I'm sure knowing you are well cared for goes a long way toward giving you up for a whole year a lot easier. Keep up the wonderful writing. I check here everyday because I am vicariously visiting Sweden through you!