Friday, September 21, 2007

fall has arrived


I'm afraid I have fallen short of the aspirations I had for blogging so faithfully and reflecting so thoughtfully on my life here. But partly I feel that I really live in Sweden now, and therefore, perhaps in a good way, I no longer feel that my news is terribly exciting or worth reporting. However, I shall write a few words now and try harder to be consistent for those of you who are waiting to read something from me.

The picture shown above is not there because i have been knitting so much, but more as a representation of the strong desire I have to be knitting and hopefully as an inspiration to myself. :) There is an amazing knitting store in town called Yll och Tyll...check it out at http://www.yllotyll.com/ if you are knitter.....you'll appreciate their amazing collection of wool and tasteful hand-knitted sweaters for sale.

I am really settling into my life here, and I truly enjoy it. The days are cool now and the leaves are turning, and I'm eating apples all the time because i can't resist them when I go for walks and notice them so perfect and red lying on the ground underneath these old trees....still faithfully producing such unimprovable fruit. I started my Swedish course on Tuesday, and I'll have it twice a week in the evenings for 6 weeks. I like my class....it is a really diverse group of people from all over the world who are just as unsure of this new language on their tongue as I am, so it's a lovely unintimidating environment to learn in. Actually, my teacher asked me yesterday, "hannah, är den här kurs för let till dig?" which means "is this course too easy for you?" and i was glowing and smiling so big inside that i'm sure she must've detected how proud i felt. :) I'm staying in the class though, because it's important to learn the right things from the beginning, but I am feeling thankful for the wonderful teacher I have had the past few weeks named Alexander Klum, age 2.5. Seriously, he has taught me a lot and I am at a fun place with this language, where I notice real improvements every day and I can get away with not having to say "talar du engelska?" in every conversation with a Swede. Just a couple interesting notes on Swedish....it is a easy language for English speakers to learn because it is also Germanic and the syntax is very similar to English. Plus, the Swedes like to be concise, so phrases are short. The words for grandmother and grandfather are wonderful because there is a differentation made for your mother's mother and father's mother, for example. Mor means mother, so mormor means your mom's mom, and farmor is your dad's mom. Same with farfar and morfar. Their is also sondotter and dotterdotter to explain your grandchildren as your son's or daughter's daughter, in this case.

I've been reading a bit from the small English book sectoin of the town library, and I finally finished book 4 in the series The Emigrants by Vilhelm Moberg. If you love anything Swedish, read these books!! They tell the story of a family who emigrated from Sweden to Minnesota in the 1850s and after following this family for 4 books I feel like I practically know them and of course I shed a couple tears when......well, i won't spoil it. I just started reading How Green is my Valley about a Welsch family in the 1930s, and I still feel so lucky to be able to read fun fiction after 4 years of being an English major where you have so much to read that there's never time for your own choices.

More to come later....I hope you are enjoying this time of the changing of seasons....i think fall feels: slow, crisp, cozy.

6 comments:

Mark said...

Pleasant description of idyllic Swedish life.
love,
DAD

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
I have no other way of contacting you than making comments here and on your facebook wall because I couldn't find your email address anywhere.
I'm interested to know- what was your time at L'Abri like? What all did you learn, what was the experience like, would you recommend it? I know that there is something greater out there than the American dream and my pension plan with my 2.5 kids. Would this help me understand that in a more personal way? Please email me with your thoughts at lindsaynscott@gmail.com whenever you get a chance.
Thanks!
Lindsay

Cate Raff said...

Hannah! I love your writing. You are great. My friend Simeon said he was impressed by your Swedish, and so was your teacher! I think you're just a natural! :) And ISN'T it nice to finally have free time to read now? So refreshing!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah, thanks for this lovely update...Meredith and I were looking at some photos you posted (somewhere) and I must say, each time I hear of your Swedish adventure, I envy you more and more. Perhaps one of my girls can have a similar adventure before finally settling in on their own American dream!

You might be interested to know that I have big plans for a veggie garden next spring. Oh, how I wish you were here to be my very own "garden consultant!" I am reading quite a bit and found myself studying the backyard quite attentively all day the other day to determine the very spot which receives the most sunlight during the course of the day! Of course it has to be right where our brush burn-pile is with the old pear tree stump right in the middle! Oh well, we'll get right to it as soon as it is cool enough to burn the pile and tackle the stump underneath. I'd love to have an email from you with some recommendations on reading or planning.

Much love,
Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hej Hannah!
Wonderful how it is all working out so well for you in Sweden.
Fortunately we have crisp clear sunny falldays as well here in the US.Actually a lot more than in Holland where autumn tends to be windy and rainy.
BTW , can you tell me,are there heatherfields and rowanberries in Sweden? those are the fallthings I still miss after 18 years.
Once again thanks so much for keeping your blog,Janke.

Unknown said...

We are enjoying your blog very much. i think you would enjoy Donna's blog who does weaving and dyeing.http://www.spinningdaydreams.blogspot.com/
There you can get the link to Theresa's , Raquel's James'