Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Best of Sweden:: wool


I've decided to start something like a series on this little attempt of a blog. I've noticed the cool bloggers do it anyway. The topic is Sweden, and it will highlight some of the things about this part of the globe that I have grown to love and appreciate in their uniqueness and "swedishness." I've been reflecting that it's easy to become so used to where you live, be it abroad or in the same town where you grew up, that you stop noticing the everyday things. The particular nature and landscape, that old building in town, the local quirks of the people. Everyplace has it's appreciable characteristics.

That intro being said, I love that there is so much wool in Sweden. In this cold climate, you find every small town has a yarn shop, and any random market is compromised of half yarn/wool/sheepskin vendors. Just today I was on the bus to go teach when i noticed a market on the big square in town. As the bus zoomed past, I was alarmed I hadn't heard that this market would be there. I let out a sharp intake of breath at the sight of piles of soft sheepskins. I was planning on heading straight by. But I made the quick decision that the school could wait. I jumped off at the next stop and entered the world of warm mittens, felted hats, and scandinavian sweaters. OK, there was also a donut stand and a lady selling spandex longjohns. But I only had eyes for the handmade. And by the providence of God I resisted buying the ridiculously cheap yarn, only because I had not one bit of cash on me. So I used the opportunity to be inspired instead. That's always free.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicky had exactly that kind of wool booties when he was a baby.
Makes me sentimental.
Maybe he can buy a size 15 or something when he comes over....
So happy with all your new blogs,
Love,janke.

Anonymous said...

this is the best blog on the www! keep on blogging, especially about wool! I LOVE WOOL!!!

ashleigh said...

I loved your description of the market! Too bad markets aren't common in the US. :(

Rebecca S. said...

gret post. made me laugh out loud. and sigh with lovely wool-longing. :)