Saturday, April 25, 2009

spring knitting

I used to think that knitting in the spring and summer months was unappealing. How could you have a skein of wool sitting on your lap on a hot summer's day, concentrating your energy on a big cozy shawl that you can't wear for another few months? Since February I've been working on a lace shawl ....which I'm loving and enjoying, but this warm SC weather is not motivating me towards finishing it. Instead what came to my mind is this beautiful summery knitted top I noticed way back last winter and have had a subconscious desire to knit ever since. So last week I promptly ordered the yarn (color name of sprout green...how could I resist buying that?), had my sister Becca copy and mail me the pattern since it's from a book she owns, and today as soon as my yarn arrived in the mail I started on it! Ooh, new projects are the best. Let me tell you about this one. The yarn is 70% cotton, 30% linen. The bottom half of the top is lace work, then a simple stockinette stitch, with a flattering neckline and small cap sleeves. Mmm....sounds like a perfect match for a pair of cropped linen pants. Sounds like one of those tops I'll reserve for wearing when I work at the farmer's markets on Saturdays this sumer. Check out this lady's amazing version if you want to drool. If mine turns out half as beautiful as hers I will be pleased.

Also I want to say a big
HEJ! to any of you readers in Sweden. Christina, Carola, Nina, Eva-Britt, Birgitta...jag vet inte vem läsa, men jag hoppas ni alla ha det jättebra i den vackra svenska vår. Jag kan tänka mig att alla Svenskarna säger nu,"visst är det härligt med vår!"Here is a picture of a little touch of Sweden which my mother has on her kitchen table...it's so nice to walk by it every day and think of my 2nd home!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Your shawl is wonderful! Wow! And I love the color of the minty fresh green yarn, can't wait to see your progress!

nina filmberg holm said...

Hej Tack för din hälsning :) här har värmen kommit 20 grader varmt i helgen helt underbart, hoppas resan gick bra och att du har det bra långt där borta, Nina, Carola, Gunnar, hiihi :)

Hi Thanks for your greeting:) this has come the heat 20 degrees Celsius at the weekend quite wonderful, hope the trip went well and that you have the good far over there, Nina, Carola, Gunnar

Anonymous said...

Sweet Hannah, now the birch has got leaves big as mouse ears and it´s time to cut the rosebushes and just wait for the flowering season. Maj-Britt, Monika with husband and me with husband went to see a spring concert with the women´s choir La Cappella where Eva sings and plays the piano. It was magic and full of joy and beauty. You would have enjoyed it too.
Christina