Monday, March 16, 2009

Best of Sweden:: the forest

How can I describe it? It is like a scene out of a children's book, a place where it seems trolls could very possibly live and little mushroom children could pop out from behind the mossy rocks at any moment.In the winter the forest is snow-covered and quiet. I feel like Robert Frost when I take late evening walks, finding the path by the light of the snow and the occasional lamp.
In little over a month, white flowers will cover the forest floor and the trees will bud with that fresh, new green of spring.
In late summer come the blueberries, lingonberries, and wild raspberries. What a feast! And then the mushrooms! Porcini and canterells are especially abundant. Once I was chatting over coffee with a sweet older couple. They had been married at least 5o years, and though they had lived in Uppsala for awhile, they both grew up in the far north of Sweden. I asked them what their impression of the "South" was. Their answer: "Det finns ingen skog!" Meaning, "there are no forests here!" Wow. And I thought I was living in the land of forests.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why o why do you want to leave this wonderful country?
Maybe your family can be convinced to move there too,( they already seem Swedes in heart....).
Janke.

Brickhead said...

I read Elsa's books to my girls all the time! We spend many days in our forests looking for evidence of fairies and root children. H.W. - I love your blog but I'm dying to here more about what has been going on and what your plans are - I also want you to come live with me for a week and help me with my knitting! I want to share with you how our lives have evolved the last year and a half. I'm making your cinnamon buns today along with some wonderful braided loaves. Check our the new pictures on Steve's blog when you have time. Esme is such a butter bean now! Take care. -Ashley

Cate Raff said...

I LOVE your writing, Hannah, and your photos are beautiful!! I especially love the forest pic, with the shadows of trees on the soft, flowered ground.