Sunday, March 29, 2009

shadow play

Today I went for a run, despite feeling totally low-energy all weekend, and with the thought that I'd only go for a short time the only thing that got me out the door. The sky was utterly grey (i'm seriously about to go insane from grey skies) and the ground was slippery with ice in all the best running places (the valley and the forest). But once I was out the door, down the path, out into the open valley, and sloshing through the melted snow, I couldn't help feeling that wonderful kid-feeling of puddle hopping. First I was doing these ridiculous jumping maneuvers to avoid the pools of melted snow, then I was embracing them, feeling the ice-cold water seep into my socks and running faster just to get through them. After I ran in the valley for awhile i turned left and sprinted up the forest path, avoiding the dangerous ice patches and taking lots of alternative routes to do so. ahhh....fresh air, a fast heart beat, and a healthy ache in my legs. Everywhere I ran there was the precious sound of running water, of melting snow heading downhill in ravines and the sides of streets.
Random: i got this great thin cotten, slightly blue, longish shirt/dress from the thrift store this week. Can't believe i let myself even walk in the door knowing i have no extra suitcase room to spare! The countdown is now 18 days till the big move....how time flies!

1 comment:

Cate Raff said...

What a beautiful photo--the shadow one! I love it!! Running in the snow sounds like FUN, Hannah! You're so free-spirited and cool!

You'll be glad you bought the shirt later--you'll make it fit in the luggage, somehow... :)