Saturday, March 21, 2009

white birches, white churches

I think I've been in a car two times since Christmas. Once about a month ago to go to Stockholm, and the second time was today. I felt the need to get out of Uppsala, outside of the small radius that my bicycle can take me. On the way home from a lovely forest walk, this church was spotted. Construction began on it in 1180. It was beautiful to behold, especially in the bright sunshine. One couldn't help noticing how it stood out from the otherwise sparse countryside. A few wooden houses, fields sleeping under the snow, and then this church. Someone a long time ago obviously was moved to build this. To put so much effort of time, money, architecture, and beauty into something shows its importance. My suspicion is that the God of the Bible moved the older generations in Sweden to build such churches.
The contrast was sharp as we headed back into the city. The new IKEA is almost done being constructed, and it is so humongous that you can no longer see the steeples of the cathedral in town as you approach. I thought, hmm, looks like this is what we worship today. Material things. Stuff for our home, our wardrobe, our cars. Worship may sound like a strange word, like a "religious" word that only applies to those who bow their heads to the ground or buy a statue to place on an alter in their home, but worship is something we all do. The object of our worship can be easily discovered by observing what we spend our time doing, where we spend our money, what we aspire to get out of life.



















My prayer is that I would not be one who worships and serves created things, but rather the Creator.
Much joy is found in this.

3 comments:

Wim Roefs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ashleigh said...

Thank you for this post! It is a good reminder to keep priorities straight. Also, I loved the pictures of the churches and trees! :)

KMB said...

I love the little pauses in this blog. I think it is an element of time. I am just rereading Surprised by Joy, there is the part about the creator and created. Love the blog!